Monday, 27 May 2013

Acronyms, Assignments and Artichokes (not really, just liked the alliteration)

So basically we've been asked to keep these Personal Development Portfolios but I just can't seem to get my head around them. There's space to write things, CV, IT skills and all but it all seems so formal and scary so for now I'm writing here, jotting down ideas, saying what's on my mind. I imagine I'll be putting up links to websites that I like etc. Lesson plan ideas and so forth. And then maybe I'll unblock the stuff I need to write for my PDP (it seems that the teaching/education fraternity just lurve acronyms. Much like the NGO world.) SEN, ESL, ZPD, PSHE,

So currently I'm having to write 2 assignments at once which is a bit tricky. The course is divided up into 4 sections, with an assignment for each (and a 'process work' section which informs the assignments). But the third assignment is practical, with a sequence of lesson plans you have to teach. And this is due right in the middle of the long holidays, and school breaks up in a few weeks, so it has to be done now. Gulp.

Currently I've been helping out with the BTEC Performing Arts class - 5 students (16 year olds) and tutoring two of them who have chosen to do the extended course. Which is great. I can cope with them. They are sweet kids. Enthusiastic, thoughtful and keen. But for my lesson sequence I get to teach the year 9's. Full of hormones and self absorbtion. God help me.

I've done a few starters with them and helped out with some of their mini rehearsals in lessons and they absolutely do not listen to me! But the drama teacher and I are strategising. Last starter I did I think I got through to a couple of them. We shall see. I think I'll have to place my lesson sequence within a behaviour management context which is great. I can do this. (said in small voice).

If I write nothing more on this you'll know I've been eaten alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment