I've long wanted to become a teacher but life distracted me along the
way. I'm glad it did though because I think now I have a great deal more to
offer as a teacher than I did straight out of university.
I grew up in the South Luangwa National Park in Zambia, one of the
world's great wildernesses. After completing my degree in Drama and
Classical Civilisation I went home and became a safari guide for a four or five
years. I then went on to represent Zambia on regional southern African project
that used theatre to address community conservation issues. This involved
setting up small theatre groups, researching and gathering information, and
lastly acting in a play that toured all of southern Africa and Washington
DC.
And so the seeds of Seka were sown. At the end of this tour I set up a
small company in Zambia called Seka which
has since expanded into Tanzania. Seka runs various educational programmes
using theatre to educate, stimulate debate and find solutions to pressing
environmental and social issues in rural and urban communities alike.
I now live in Tanzania with my husband and two small children and am
embarking on an exciting new journey to become a drama teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment